The Dutch Reform Church at the top of Carrhill Road.
Inhabitants of Wynberg were served by the mother
congregation in Cape Town. A meeting was held on 7 June 1829 to
establish a new congregation due to the distance that had to be
traveled to church on bad roads. Permission was obtained from the
Gouverner and the Church Council of Cape Town by Sir John Truter,
the first Chief Justice of the Cape and representative for the
government in the Synod of the Church.
The first service was held at De Onder Schuur Estate
(now called Westbrooke) in Rondebosch and later at various farmhouses.
Land for the building of a church granted on 3 March 1831 with the
condition that building started within nine months and to be completed
within a further nine months. The foundation stone was laid on 24
March 1831 by Sir John Truter. The Governer, Sir Lowry Cole was
present then and also at the opening on Sunday, 30 September the